Swiss techno producer Ripperton goes in deep and soulful for this week’s Clash mix.
Formerly known as one half of misleadingly named techno duo Lazy Fat People, with fellow Swiss DJ Mirko Loko (with releases on Carl Craig’s Planet E, Mathew Jonson’s Wagon Repair and James Holden’s Border Community), Raphaël Ripperton has very much made his mark as a solo producer in 2007.
His melodic, deep contributions to techno and house are considered and creative, yet also have a warm, soulful quality to them (not entirely unlike the songs of Minnie Ripperton, the ‘70s soul singer whose name he shares), delicately demonstrated on his 2013 album ‘A Little Part of Shade’.
It’s difficult not to be absorbed by Ripperton’s Clash Mix. Whether it’s ghostly jazz notes, waves of lush, instrumental house, jolts of funky techno or blissful dancefloor moments, everything here has been chosen with care, making for a thoroughly satisfying selection. Featured artists include Manchester dub-techno don Andy Stott, respected Detroit producer Omar-S and the ever-innovative, ever-restless, Matthew Herbert.
Listen to it now... Grab it HERE.
Right click, 'Save As...'
1. Double K - Esprit De La Jungle
2. Boska - Submarine
3. Andy Stott - Florence
4. River & Phoenix - Follow Your Dreams
5. New Musik - Warp (Ilo Edit)
6. Omar-S - Don’t Let Dis Be Hapnin
7. Matthew Styles - Blowback
8. Francis Bebey - Bissao (Pilooski Edit)
9. Headless Ghost - Let’s Fall
10. Damiano Von Erckert feat. Imam Ally - Salaam Adhab Ya Msafiri
11. Medlar - Govern
12. Alexander Robotnick - Problèmes D’Amour (Kenny Dixon Jr. Remix)
13. HNNY - Mys
14. Dinky - Falling Angel (Pépé Bradock's Détournement au Phlogiston Remix)
15. Herbert - People That Make the Music
Ripperton plays London’s Oval Space with Radio Slave, DJ Sprinkles and Ian Pooley, on Friday 25 October.
Words: Tristan Parker
Photo: Amelie Blanc
Get the best of Clash on your iPhone - download the app here