Ever woken up in a field surrounded in thick fog, still hazy-as-hell from a red wine and mushroom-induced hangover but with a desire to keep wandering? Should this ever happen, the second instalment in our double bill of DJ mixes today, from Francis Harris, may well be the perfect soundtrack to accompany your travels.
Perhaps best-known for his Adultnapper alias, Brooklyn-based producer Harris has never been one to sit still when it comes to making music. Search through his extensive and varied back catalogue and you’ll find anything from curveball techno to smoky house to experimental dancefloor journeys to minimal, robotic funk, all of it pristinely produced and with a mischievous – often dark undercurrent bubbling away quietly.
After the initial delicate haze of Harris’ bewitching mix, dots are joined and rhythms forged as the producer sculpts lo-fi beats, glistening electronica melodies and submerged, dubby techno into the mix, courtesy of Actress, Grizzly Bear (remixed by Nicolas Jaar) and undergrounders including Phantom Ghost and STL.
Here’s how the producer succinctly sums up this thoughtful mood: “Doing podcasts have become a lot more about just playing what I’m listening to and not necessarily about what is only good for the club. I think this mix represents the middle ground between the two contexts.”
Listen to it now... Grab it HERE.
Right click, 'Save As...'
1. Drona Orchestry - Deep Storm II [Something]
2. Rafael Anton Irisarri - The Witness [Room 40]
3. Jason Poranski - Brother in the Cart [Unreleased]
4. Secret Pyramids - A Descent [Students of Decay]
5. Soul Keita - Monjitas [Clown and Sunset]
6. Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute (Nicolas Jaar Remix) [Warp]
7. Phantom Ghost - The Shadow [Dial]
8. Sten - Daylight [Dial]
9. Actress - Ivy May Gilpin [Werk Discs]
10. Steve Tang - Angels [Smallville]
11. STL - Silent State [Smallville]
12. Jouem - Certainty of Salvation [Mojuba]
13. Robert Lippok - I Can Tell [Monika Enterprise]
Words: Tristan Parker
- - -
Francis Harris’ new album ‘Minutes of Sleep’ is out now on Scissor & Thread.